Institutionalised in the year 2010, the Green Ambassador Awards aims to recognise the efforts of local green heroes. As part of the travelling editions of CMS VATAVARAN, two individuals- a man and a woman conservationist are selected for this award. The winners are selected out of nominations received from respective states.
To take this legacy forward, 52 such individuals who have been doing remarkable work in the field of conservation in their cities, towns, districts, gram panchayats or villages were felicitated by CMS VATAVARAN and its partners.
||For her contribution towards environmental awareness through the medium of art.
||For his personal zeal in working with students and young people in spreading awareness about the environment, solid waste management, wetland and migratory birds and their protection.
||For his tree plantation initiatives in Puducherry which has set a benchmark for students and inculcated the importance of tree plantation among them.
||Shri Swaran Singh
||For his selfless contributions to organic farming.
||Ms Manisha Thakur
|| He prepared a vermi-compositing unit for solid waste management.
||Shri Lalit Kumar Singhania
||He works towards conservation of environment, energy and sustainable development by experimenting and implementing various green technologies.
||Ms Suniti Yadav
||Awarded for her innovative wide-ranging environmental conservation and social engineering efforts.
||Shri O P Agrawal
||Through the Agro-Forestry project he has planted more than 10 lakhs trees and motivated more than 10,000 farmers towards this project.
||Mr Nosang Limboo
||For his efforts towards highlighting the richness of biodiversity in Sikkim through the discovery and documentation of butterfly species, wildlife tours and introduction of butterfly watching tourism.
||Ms Tshering Uden Bhutia
||For her efforts towards conservation of environment in Sikkim through wide ranging activities in eco-tourism, waste Management and watershed planning which includes community outreach and capacity building.
||Mr Ambar Vishal
||Awarded for his initiatives for promoting community-tourism, eco-friendly attitudes and practices among children and women, safe sanitation practices and waste re-use in UP.
||Shri Prateek Panwar
||Mobilising community in conservation of avifaunal diversity
||Shri Jagat S Chaudhary
||Sensitising the villagers on redeveloping the forests
||Shri Rajeev Mehta
||Furthering the cause of conservation of tigers, co-predators, their prey and habitat in the state.
||Smt Mathura Devi
||Revival of forests
||Smt Sudha Gunwant
||spearheading the movement for natural resources management and promoted ecological protection initiatives
||Smt Sanju Devi Tailor
||Preservation of forest and avifaunal diversity and water purification
||Shri Laxman Singh
||Water sources revival and biodiversity rejuvenation
||Shri Gopal Singh Rajawat
||Ms Kim Miranda
||green movement against mining
||Shri Rajendra Kerkar
||Water purification & protection of the western ghat
||Ms Judith Almedia
||Shri Amrut Singh
||Ms Kumari Swati Shridhar Kerkar
||revival of forest and community mobilisation
||Ms Suchandra Kundu
||Faunal biodiversity conservation
||Shri Pradip Datta
||Anti-nuclear movement and biodiversity conservation
||Ms Jodie Underhill
||Garbage collection drive
||Shri Mayank Ranjan Gupta
||Dr Sanjeev Attari
||Shri Brian Dermot Kharpran Daly
||Shri Sorendro Khongsit
||Education on traditional medicinal plants
||Shri Vava Suresh
||Shri Bal Pandi
||Bird watcher and conservationist
||Sri Vijaya Rama Kumar
||Chief Functionary, SAVE
||Dr Rao Chelikani
||Civil Society Leader
||Sri B N Reddy
||Eminent Urban Planner
||Prof K Purushottam Reddy
||Sri Shekar Dattatri
||Sri Girish Girija Joshi
||Shri Deb Kumar Bhadra
||Project Scientist, Indian Institute of Geomagnetism, Port Blair
||Shri A Gopal
||Project Officer, CPR Environmental Education Centre, Port Blair
||Dr T Sundaramoorthy
||Head, Biodiversity conservation, CPR. Environmental Education Centre, Chennai
||Shri Rishikesh Sinha
||Sr Scientific Officer-II, Department of Science and Technology, Port Blair
||Scientist, CARI, Port Blair.
||Shri T C Shayju
||ASI, Andaman and Nicobar Police, Andaman and Nicobar Administration
||Smt Neelam Purti
||Range Officer, Department of Environment and Forest, A&N Admin., Long Island, Middle Andaman
||Shri Abdul Salam
||Director, Department of Agriculture, A&N Admin. Port Blair
||Dr Ajanta Birah
||Senior Scientist, CARI, Port Blair
||Range Officer, Department of Environment and Forest, A&N Admin, Beta Pur, Middle Andaman.
||Shri Ranjan Baroi
||President, Andaman Nature Club, Port Blair.
||Smt Archana Singh
||Lecturer, JNRM, Port Blair
||Shri S Bhavani
||Shiksha Sadan, Port Blair
||Smt Rita Biswas
||Lecturer, Dr B R Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Port Blair
||Shri Bibhudhendra Pratap Das
||Smt Sanjukta Basa
||Shri Vanoo Mitra Acharya
||Shri Prasanna Kumar Behera
||Shri Chandrama Nayak
||Shri Pratyush Mohapatra
||Founder, snake helpline
||Shri Akshaya Patnaik
||Forest conservationist, DFO
||Dr Pramod Kumar Mahapatra
||Environment journalist, Samaj
||Shri Sujit Mahapatra
||Promotion of medicinal and herbal trees
The awardees are chosen through nominations from diverse backgrounds ranging from academics, research, filmmaking, journalism, environment education, grassroots activities, etc. The objective behind the felicitation has been to acknowledge and recognise the work being done at the grassroots level by individuals so that it can act as a source of inspiration to others and encourage people to come forward for the cause of environment.
In 2016, the 8th edition of CMS VATAVARAN will travel to 7 cities and will dedicate the festivals to large and small rivers in these cities-
A winner will be selected in two separate categories each- Green Ambassador (Male) and Green Ambassador (Female) in each city . A Memento and a Citation will be presented to the Green Ambassadors.
- Nominee should be of Indian nationality
- Nominee may be a Government employee but should be involved in the conservation work beyond the call of his/her duty.
- Individuals should be engaged in the environmental and wildlife conservation activities as a selfless service and not only as a part of any project or institution.
- Minimum period of involvement should be 5 years.
- The winner of the award will be selected based on their level of leadership, equity and accountability in the conservation management, and effectiveness in conserving it.
- The Green Ambassadors will be selected based on their level of participation, equity and accountability in the biodiversity conservation management, and effectiveness in conserving it.
- Sufficiency of information regarding the work of the nominee and broad fit with the mandate of award which may include Bio-data and a passport size photograph along with working photographs, videos (if possible), certificates, recommendation letters, etc.
- Processes followed: Processes followed by the individual for setting goals, planning and implementation in the management and conservation.
- Outcomes achieved: Tangible and intangible benefits and effectiveness of biodiversity conservation management i.e. enhancement in sustainability of biodiversity conservation, improvement in area covered, improvement in regeneration status and innovative approaches.
- The profile of the recommended individuals for the Green Ambassadors Award should include the following details:
- Full Name
- Contact information (Mobile, Email, Postal Address with pin code, Fax)
- Details of the conservation work:
- Species of biodiversity worked on
- Geographical coverage of the work
- Activities undertaken
- Outcome/ Benefits of the contribution
The call for nominations will be announced soon on the website.